How to install Xfce from source to local prefix

Juha kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Tue Nov 17 16:35:58 CET 2009

Hi !

I have been trying to install Xfce 4.6.1 to my new Ubuntu 9.10 system
into /usr/local/xfce, but failing miserably with:
Unable to determine failsafe session name.  Possible causes: xfconfd
isn't running (D-Bus setup problem); environment variable
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly (must include
"/usr/local/xfce/etc"), or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly.
When trying to start xfce4-session. Yes, it is true that xfconfd is not
running, but does anybody
know how and where DBUS should be setup so that xfconfd would run
automatically?

I have set
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg:/usr/local/xfce/etc/xdg

If I run
/usr/local/xfce/libexec/xfconfd
before xfce4-session I do not get errors.

Juha