Volume control?

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 20:24:16 CET 2009

2009/11/13 Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Have a look at xfce4-mixer.
>>>
>>> ~David
>>>

>> Thanks. Building it now.
>>
>> Back later.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> OK, that works fine as an app. I'm having some trouble adding it to
> the panel though. It shows up in the list of items I can add, and it
> seems it to act like it's being added, but I don't see an icon
> anywhere on the panel.

Right click the panel > add new item. And select the mixer. You can
use the plugin to launch the mixer application on click and scroll
with the mouse to turn the volume up and down.

For the record, the gnome volume control is provided with gnome-media.
I don't know, but it may not always happen that this application is
split into a smaller package by distros.

Another thing you can do is install xfce4-volumed. It will use the
multimedia keys volume up/down/mute from the keyboard :-)

> I'd like to fix this but at least my wife will be happy with even
> starting the app from the menu.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Welcome