FAT: IO charset ISO-8859-1 not found?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:38:14 CET 2009

2009/11/10 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
> the reason I didn't push 105 to Fedora 11 was that 104 was reported to
> actually fix their problems related to encodings by several testers.
> They needed UTF-8 in order do be able to share data between Linux and
> Windows.

That can still be set, but in the rc file. If for example ntfs needs a
charset, you can put charset=<auto> for using LC_CTYPE or a fixed
encoding by putting charset=utf8 in the [ntfs] group (or only utf8,
since it's a mount option too). This is more flexible since for
example vfat with an utf8 charset is not recommended.

> With 105 transfer rates are horrible low, even with the "Only sync
> devices with no volume"-patch applied it takes 9 minutes for ~ 25 files
> and 1,3 GB of data. The same USB key did the same in 90 seconds
> previously.

Could you compare the mount options set by hal between the two exo
versions (should be visible in /media/.hal-mtab). Then I can fix it if
it's an exo bug and release 106.

Nick