FAT: IO charset ISO-8859-1 not found?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:11:02 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 13:25 +0100 schrieb Bjørn T Johansen:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:11:03 +0100
> Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > In order to debug this problem, please tell me what locales you are
> > using and what charset you want the stick to be mounted.
>
> The locales I am using is en_US.ISO-8859-1 and the charset I use is
> also ISO-8859-1 and want to use that for my sticks also..

Why en_US.ISO-8859-1 and not en_US.UTF-8?

Red Hat/Fedora switched to UTF-8 in Red Hat 8, this was back in 2002.
More than 7 years later, using ISO is not really a supported use case
any longer. You must have configured this manually
in /etc/sysconfig/i18n, because nether anaconda (the installer) nor
system-config-language will allow you to set ISO.

> > And here is 105 for Fedora 11:
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=140571
> > It's not yet in updates-testing, but will be tomorrow.

For the record: This means you need to download the package to install
it. Once it's in updates-testing you can install it with
$ yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update exo

> Please give us
> > some feedback at
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/exo-0.3.105-1.fc11
> >
> > Last but not least I'd like to ask you to report errors like this one to
> > bugzilla.redhat.com, because it makes tracking bugs and regressions
> > easier for us. TIA!
> >

> Ok, will try to remember that for the next time... :) Also, not sure
> if I will have time to do some thorough testing before you release 105
> but I'll see... Thx..

Usually updates are sitting in updates-testing for 1-2 weeks, so you
should have enough of time.
If you really want to continue using ISO, you need to
edit /etc/xdg/xfce4/mount.rc and remove UTF-8 there. But please be aware
of the fact that you will run into trouble if you ever happen to have
any files not ISO encoded. Not sure if this is likely for somebody in
the US, but for the large majority of our users UTF-8 is the better
choice.

> BTJ

Regards,
Christoph