Default text editor

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Nov 4 16:48:13 CET 2009

On 11/04/2009 03:04 AM, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> In Thunar:
>>
>> * Right-click on a text document
>> * Select "Open with ->"
>> * Select "Open with other application ..."
>> * In the "Open with" dialog, choose the app you want to associate with
>> the document, and make sure "Use as default for this kind of file" is
>> checked
>> * Click the "Open" button
>>

> Yes, that helps.
> But for files without extension (eg. .log, .txt) say notes, readme and
> similar this has to be done for each file name separately. I was was
> hoping for more general solution where gedit would assume 'default text
> editor' position in place of mousepad.
>
> Best regards,
> Hinko

Oh, OK.  Not sure then how you'd do this with Xfce/Thunar.  I'm a former
KDE user who recently switched to Xfce and love it for the most part,
but I still prefer and use Konqueror as a file manager over Thunar.  And
what you're looking for I think is pretty easy to do in Konqueror:  the
file associations are by mime type, and so as long as Konqueror is able
to recognize the doc as type "text/plain" it'll still associate it with
the proper app.

HTH,

DR