Auto-mounting external USB drive at login

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Fri May 29 23:03:57 CEST 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 20:54:21 +0100
AG <computing.account at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I am being dense, but I just am seeing where to configure a
> start up routine that will auto mount my music collection, which is on
> an external USB drive.  Can someone please give me a steer.  It would
> help reduce a 3-step to a 1-step process.

I believe this isn't really an XFCE issue.

You should look at /etc/fstab where the drives are listed that are
automounted on startup, though possibly this won't work if the USB
system is started too late.

You probably have 'udev' installed (or 'hotplug' if the system is older),
which detects when the drive is connected, and can execute the mount code
automatically. This may need some configuration, though many drive types
are already defined in the udev rules. The method varies from distro to
distro.

So, no real step should be necessary, except plugging it in.

John