Prevent Xfce from darwing desktop background

andreas at an3as.eu andreas at an3as.eu
Thu May 14 11:12:33 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:49:30AM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 05/13/2009 11:38 PM, andreas at an3as.eu wrote:
> When you unset that option in 4.4 xfdesktop quits completely, so xplanet
> ends up drawing either a) to the X root window directly, or b) to a
> window it creates itself (depends on how you run xplanet, I believe). In
> this case, you lose the desktop right- and middle-click menus.  If
> you're fine with this (which presumably you are, since you operated this
> way with 4.4),

Yes - I never used these menus.

> simply run "xfdesktop --quit" from a terminal and save
> your session when you log out.

Which worked after I 'kill -9'ed a remaining xfdesktop which at
first gave me the screwed screen - but after logging of and in again
I at least get a "first view" on xplanet.  Now every window (like
the splash screen, the auto hidden menu and any other window leaves
a gray shadow on my screen and once I had one full screen window
my desktop is completely gray again.  This seems to be due to the
fact that xfce windowmanager does not respect the fact that xfdesktop
is not running.

>>> Are you telling xplanet to draw to xfdesktop's window?  If not, why not?
>>>   If not, I don't see how it ever worked in 4.4.
>>
>> I have no ideao how I could tell this.
>
> Then you need to get googling.  This topic has been discussed several
> times over the past few years.

You probably mean links like this[1].  But this PNG-creation + cron
job solution is not really what I'd call a workaround for the problem
that xfwm4 leaves gray desktop background behind, right?
Or do I miss any other configuration option?

> Well, we both did misunderstand, but this might still be a useful
> feature, for people who want to use xplanet (or something similar), but
> still want access to the menus.  Up to you if you feel like following up
> with a feature request.

I think we are now approaching some light in the sequence of
missunderstandings: It is not xfdesktop's problem (well it is now
switched of as I did it before in version 4.4) but xfwm4 behaves
differently - and if you ask me I'm insisting that it is a bug if
a window manager does not restore the background he put a window
on.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2005-February/012778.html