4.6 menus slower than 4.4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri May 8 21:35:40 CEST 2009

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear all,
> I notice that here Xfce 4.6 is noticeably slower when popping-up menus
> or the desktop context menu. If I remember correctly, 4.4 had an
> option to first draw the programmes menu with text information only
> (the names of the categories/apps), and only afterwards to start
> displaying the icons. In 4.6 this seems to have been reverted, and the
> menu is drawn only after all icons are available for display. With
> decent hardware this shouldn't be an issue, but here when my system
> starts resorting to swap it may take even 10 or 15 secs to simply pop
> the applications menu or the desktop context menu.
> One workaround is to uncheck "show icons in menu" in Xfce Menu
> properties, but this is unsatisfactory since I do prefer to have icons
> in the menus and it doesn't affect the desktop menu. Would there be a
> way to revert to 4.4  bebaviours?

There was an annoying bug with that where the menu would sometimes end
up with scroll arrows at the top or bottom because it wasn't calculating
the size of the menu before showing it for the first time.  The code to
lazy-load the icons was a bit of a mess, so I think I just removed it.

I think people just need to understand that some features aren't going
to work well on lower-end hardware, and if it bothers you, you just have
to suck it up and disable it if possible.

Patches to make the behavior better gladly accepted, of course.

	-brian