Possible values for Channels/Properties in xfconf‏ (Plain Text)

Michael Primrose michael_primrose at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:09:18 CET 2009

>Le Tue, 24 Mar 2009 04:14:20 +0100,
>Mike Massonnet  a écrit :
>>Page started here http://wiki.xfce.org/settings4.6
This list of known (currently defined) Channel/Propertise will be extremely
useful in helping users to control their XFCE environment. If we know what
the properties are and what their values mean in practice, then we can use the
xfconf-query program to send real-time configuartion changes to the environment.

For instance, one of the quick ways that the xconf-query program might be used
is for a CLI to toggle the top level desktop contect menu ON and OFF

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /desktop-icons/style -s 2 (ON)
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /desktop-icons/style -s 0 (OFF)

> Le Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:18:04 -0700,
> "Brian J. Tarricone"  a écrit :
>> So an app is free to set whatever properties it wants,
>> without documenting them, and you could even create and set
>> arbitrary meaningless properties that do nothing from the
>> command-line or GUI editor.

I have created a number of so-far arbitary meanlingless properties but I am
hoping get them to do something from the CLI.Channel/properties that allow us
to do something interesting are far more valuable and help to generate much
greater user involvement with XFCE and the creation of new XFCE based goodies.

Michael