Possible values for Channels/Properties in xfconf‏ (Plain Text)

Michael Primrose michael_primrose at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:26:03 CET 2009

Is it possible to determine what the complete set of possible already
defined channels/properties are with respect to xfconf in XFCE4.6?

The
reason I ask is related to the Shutdown/ShowSupend and
Shutdown/ShowHibernate properties for the xfce4-session channel. The question is, how would we ever know that they actually
existed, without
the mention of them by Brian Tarricone in the xfce-devs
mailing list last year. Until they are actually created and given a Boolean value of false by the user, with the command

xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -np '/shutdown/ShowSuspend' -t 'bool' -s 'false'

they
would not show up on the system and I am not sure there is any command
that will list potential but hitherto uncreated channel/properties.

I would presume that the complete answer is to go through
the code for XFCE4.6 and find where the various channels and related properties are defined. This exercise,
whilst interesting in its own right, is rather time consuming. I am
rather hoping that there is a document somewhere that lists all the
channels/properties that have been so far defined for XFCE4.6, but if the
document does exist anywhere on the web, it has so far eluded my search techniques.

realize that, from reading the documentation, I can create whatever
channels and properties I wish, so long as they follow the standards
already set. However, there is a large step from having a freshly
minted property oin a channel of your own naming, and actually geting
it to do anything sensible on the system. Hence my interest finding out
about the potential channels/properties that may already be in
existence, but are so far un-utilized, so we can do some
experimentation with them, in the Zenwalk community and see what this
tool can be made to do. If it does nothing more than to finally provide
us with fine grained control in the XFCE Kiosk environment then the
tool will be extremely useful, but the tool seems capable of so much
more.

Regards

Michael Primrose.

Sorry about the previous post. I hadnt realized how the default hotmail settings whould appear. Hopefully this should be more presentable