Names in source files (Was: Is Xfce copyrighted or free software)

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Fri Mar 20 20:20:16 CET 2009

Jarno Suni wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:59:00 -0700
> Auke Kok <auke at foo-projects.org> wrote:
>
>> It's very useful. How else can you inform the copyright holder of a
>> (GPL) violation, if you can't identify the copyright holder?
>
> Good question. The person who violates the copyright could remove the
> copyright notice from the files even if it was there.

oh god, please don't act like you know all about this now. If you know
so well, then why did you ask your original question in the first place
then? It seems to me you are completely trolling everyone here.

STOP DOING THAT. You're completely pissing everyone off. Your wasting
everyones time and frankly destroying any credibility you had in the
first place. Grow up.

Most GPL violations have been identified because a BINARY has been
identified as compiled from source code (see gpl-violations.org). After
the binary had been identified as distributed in violation with the GPL,
of course one must identify the proper owner of the copyright. If there
is none mentioned in the original source code, you can't really notify
this copyright holder that some company X is distributing binaries of
that code in violation, can you?

Violations done by stripping copyrights are way more easily identified,
Just compare the code with the original. Trivially easy of course, and
you still need the copyright owners to be mentioned in the original code
for the same reason. There are dozens of free and non-free tools that
perform these scans, and many companies use them to prevent violations.

NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP THIS THREAD.

Sincerely,

Auke