Is there a way of writing short text messages in the panel[s]?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Mar 17 11:02:32 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 07:32:25AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On lun, 2009-03-16 at 18:54 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > Is there any way to display short text messages in the xfce panel?
>
> Besides genmon you could look at messenger plugin which is to be used
> with dbus messages.

What I have actually done is to take a look at the xfce-genmon-plugin
source code and modified it to be able to specify colours.  It turned
out to be very simple as the text is output using gtk_label_set_text(),
changing this to gtk_label_set_markup() allows simple markup for text
colours etc.  I haven't fully checked it out yet, I think it may need
some increase in buffer size to handle the possible extra length of
the text.  I currently have a message in my panel with large blue text
though. :-)

Would this change be of interest to other xfce users?  If so how do I
set about submitting it?

--
Chris Green