start program on alternate workspace?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Mar 6 15:01:30 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:47:44PM +0100, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> On Wed 2009-03-04 (15:22), Mike Massonnet wrote:
>
> > > Is it possible to start a program on an alternate workspace?
> > > Say, I am on worspace 1 and want to start firefox on workspace 4.
> > > (How) can I do this?
> >
> > Have a look at devilspie.
>
> Not quite what I am looking for.
> devilspie does window action based on predefined rules.
> I want something like:
>
> xfce_magic -workspace 2 -command xterm -ls -geometry ...

Well, in general, you can't.  :-(

Like you I think it really should be the window manager's job to do
this but most recent thinking seems to be that it's not.  Some (older)
window managers *do* allow placing of specific applications in
specific workspaces (fvwm2 does for example).

In xfce the easiest way to do what you want is either devilspie (as
advised) which moves the window to the specified workspace according
to its rules.  Alternatively there is a command line tool called
wmctrl which allows you to do something similar but from the command
line so you would do:-

    xterm -T myXterm -ls -geometry .....
    wmctrl -r myXterm -t 2

--