New Behavior about moving windows.

Enrico Carlesso dev at ecarlesso.org
Tue Mar 3 00:29:44 CET 2009

Stefan Stuhr wrote:
> man, 02 03 2009 kl. 18:54 +0100, skrev Enrico Carlesso:
>
>> Hi all!
>>     I've recently upgraded to xfce4-6, and I figured out that the
>> behavior for moving and resizing window has changed to a larger diffused
>> way, that is a shortcut to start moving (or resizing) then moving whit
>> arrows and then confirm. Some of my friends and me was very very happy
>> about the old stile shortcuts (personally I user shortcuts similar to
>> vim keys, something lie <Ctrl><Shift><Alt>l to move windows right and
>> <Shift><Alt>l to resize right).
>>
>> It seems no more possible, and there comes 2 questions:
>> 1. Why have you switched to the new behavior? Does it comes from users
>> wishes?
>> 2. Why didn't you keep both? I mean, that feature was one of the major
>> motivation for me to use xfce!
>>
>> Even if it comes from users wishes or not, please can you consider the
>> idea of keeping both of behavior? At a first look it does not seems to
>> keep problems...
>>
>> This "problem" apart, I want to really really thank you for the great
>> work done and doing over the best WM in the world.
>>

> I have just finished the attached shell script; it can be used to resize
> and move the active window relative to its current position.
>
> You could try using this script in combination with the keyboard
> shortcuts feature of Xfce (second tab in the keyboard settings window).
> It can be used like this:
>
> # Move the window left:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -m left
> # Move the window right:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -m right
> # Move the window up:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -m up
> # Move the window down:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -m down
>
> # Decrease the window width:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -r left
> # Increase the window width:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -r right
> # Decrease the window height:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -r up
> # Increase the window height:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -r down
>
> # Move the window left, 8 steps at a time:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -i 8 -m left
> # Increase the window width, 5 steps at a time:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -i 5 -r right
>
> Note that the script applies the options as it encounter them. Hence the
> following:
> # Increase the window height, 5 steps at a time, AND increase the window
> # width, 10 steps at a time:
> $ window-geometry-control.sh -i 5 -r down -i 10 -r right
>
> The script depends on wmctrl <http://tripie.sweb.cz/utils/wmctrl/>.
>

>> Best regards,
>> Enrico Carlesso
>>

> Stefan

That sounds absurd! :) I've just finish my own version of your script
(bad written ad bad implemented) which is attached. But it's slow and
less responsive with respect to the native implementation. Also the
repetition is slow. At the end, i hoped to resolve this way, but it is
not the same thing at all...

Anyway, much thanks for your interest.

Anyone knows if this kind of operation may be implemented via dbus?

Best regards,
Enrico Carlesso