How to disable Caps Lock for good?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 05:59:19 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-19, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how one disables caps locks for good? I do
> have a .Xmodmap which goes as follows, but it is not clear
> this is being read:
>
> [DING!] :~$ more .Xmodmap
> keycode 22 = BackSpace
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> clear Lock

You probably have to put a line in your .xinit file (or
somewhere like that) that says something like this:

  xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

OTOH, I find it easier to just set the appropriate option in
the Xorg config file:

  Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard"
        Driver      "kbd"
        [...]
        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
  EndSection

I also usually set the compose:ralt so I can type the
occasional accented or "foreign" character:

        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,compose:ralt"

--
Grant