4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:54:48 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-17, g <gmeyer1de at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry, i forgot i made a change to devilspie.
>
> diff src/actions.c ../devilspie-0.22_selbs/src/actions.c
> 556,557c556,557
><                         TRUE,
><                         my_wnck_atom_get ("_NET_WM_STATE_BELOW"),
> ---
> >                         FALSE,
> >                         my_wnck_atom_get ("_NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE"),
>
> It replaces the below-action with an unabove-action.

Hooray! With that change, everything now works the way it used
to before the upgrade to 4.6.

I take it there are three discrete "layers" within which a
window can reside: "normal" "above" and "below"?  The panel
windows normally reside in the "above" layer, and
user-applications should be in the "normal" layer?

What we wanted was for new "application" windows to go
uppermost in the "normal" layer, but what my setup with the
un-patched devilspie was doing was putting them uppermost in
the "above" layer (which places them above the panel).  Right?

With your change, new windows are first raised to the top of
the "above" layer, and then dropped down to the "normal" layer
where they end up on top of all the other "normal" layer
windows?

Might it make a bit more sense to add a new "raise" action-atom
that does what we want rather than changing the meaning of the
"below" action?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Are we wet yet?
                                  at