4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:01:31 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-16, g <gmeyer1de at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >Perhaps I wasn't clear.
> >I want new windows to start on top of existing windows rather
> >than underneath them.
> >I don't want to give focus to newly created windows.>
> >It's got nothing to do with focus.
>
> That was not possible, when i last looked for it and as i
> understand, it's intended to be that way. As a workaround i
> use devilspie for the window raising now.

Can you provide a hint on how to do that?  I've set up
devilspie to raise new windows (as long as they're not the
desktop window), but now the panels are broken:

 * When I put a window at the edge of the desktop, the edge is
   no longer sensitive.

 * When a panel un-hides, it's below other windows, and often
   can't be seen.

How did the 4.6 window manager get released while it was still
so broken?

Here's my .devilspie config:

(if (not (is (application_name) "xfdesktop"))
    (begin
     (print "window_name:" (window_name))
     (println "       application_name:" (application_name))
     (above)))

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm a fuschia bowling
                                  at               ball somewhere in Brittany