boot straight into desktop without entering password

samuel samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:42:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Lisi Reisz<lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible in XFCE 4 to boot straight into the desktop without logging on
> and entering password?  This is sometimes desirable when there is only one
> user and no-one else has physical access to the computer.
>
> If it is possible, how?

Following recommendation of Christian I have added following line in
my /etc/inittab. Works like a charm for me. If you want to know what
is happening (log) you can replace /dev/null with any file you choose.
(/home/$user/LOG)
(make sure default run level is @ 5)

x:5:once:/bin/su samuel -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startxfce4 >/dev/null 2>&1"