need to run a shutdown script

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri Jul 31 21:10:15 CEST 2009

On 07/31/2009 04:20 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:58:43PM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> On 07/29/2009 03:51 PM, toddandmargo at verizon.net wrote:
>>> okay.  I give up.  I have searched and searched.  I need to run a
>>> shutdown script to turn off all my virtual machines before xfce 4.4.2
>>> starts its shutdown sequence.   I will provide the script.  I just need
>>> the directions as to where to put the script.  How does one configure a
>>> shutdown script?
>> We don't provide shutdown hooks.  You can hack up your xinitrc as Chris
>> G suggested, but that's not guaranteed to work forever.
>>
>> The "correct" way is for your VM GUI to support session management, and
>> then when you log out, it will be given a chance to clean up its
>> state[1].
>>
> Would it really *wait* for an application to "clean up its state",
> i.e. wait for it to close down properly.  It can take quite a long
> time, i.e. several seconds or even tens of seconds for a virtual
> machine to shut down.

Possibly.  Depends on how long the SM waits before deciding the app is
taking too much time (and thinks it's either broken or has hung).  I
don't recall how long it waits now... it actually might not have a
timeout, since apps are allowed to interact with the user during that
phase of logout, so you really can't put a time limit on it.

But regardless, all this requires explicit support from the application.

	-brian