need to run a shutdown script

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:06:48 CEST 2009

Am Freitag, den 31.07.2009, 12:18 +0100 schrieb Chris G:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:11:02PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > The machines should get started (and stopped) as a system service by an
> > initscript. You only connect to the already running machines from your X
> > session.
> >
> The *machines* don't get started as a system service do they?  Apart
> from anything else you can create new machines, etc. from the GUI so
> they can't possibly be started as a system service.

You can also create, modify, start, shutdown whatever VMs in VirtualBox
from the command line, so you could to this inside of an initscript.
Take a look at the VBoxManage command and it's options.

If you however just want to start the machines in your X session on
demand, I think you you should also be able to shut them down when you
no longer need them.

Regards,
Christoph