4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 23:06:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Net Llama!<netllama at linux-sxs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Grant Edwards<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, you are not getting it.
>>>
>>> My opinion has nothing to do with that (stop trying to put the
>>> discussion on a personal level, will you), but I happen to be
>>> the developer who wrote the code, so all I am asking is a
>>> simple fact based explanation on why the previous behavior is
>>> desirable. Is that too much asking for?
>>
>> As I stated earlier, it's annoying and a waste of time to have
>> to dig through the stack of windows hunting for the program you
>> just started.
>
> To elaborate, if I happen to open a new window that is smaller than
> pre-existing windows, I've often had to play guessing games to even
> know where that new window is hidden.

But the window is placed just next to the current window in the focus
ring so that just one alt-tab will focus the newly mapped window. You
don't even have to use the mouse.

Of course if you shuffle up the focus ring, then you'll have to
search, but this should not be required at all.

Cheers,
Olivier.