4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:22:22 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-13, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:53:26AM -0700, Net Llama! wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Grant
>> Edwards<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can anybody could recommend other window managers that work
>> > well with XFCE desktop and panel?
>>
>> I'll second that request.

Here's a patch against 4.6.1 and the associated gentoo ebuild
that restores the previous behavior (the patch makes it so that
new windows start on top of the stack instead of on the bottom):

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/xfwm4/xfwm4-4.6.1-new_windows_on_top.patch
  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/xfwm4/xfwm4-4.6.1-r1.ebuild

When I have more spare time, I'll try to figure out how to make
it either a run-time-configuration option or a "./configure
--enable" option. I think the former is the right way to go,
but since that suggestion has already been overruled by the
devs there doesn't seem to be much point in climbing the
learning curve when it comes to xfce configuration options. The
--enable method is ugly, but I already know how to do that. :)

Then, I guess we'll just maintain a forked version until we
find a different window manager.

> Well I have been muttering about returning to FVWM.  :-)

I used fvwm for many, many years (until I started using XFCE).
Perhaps it is time to revisit fvwm.  I've almost got the XFCE
panel mailwatch plugin working the way I want it to, so
hopefully fvwm will play nice with the reset of XFCE.

> My pet problem on this front is having to use add-ons like
> Devils Pie to get the window placements I want rather than it
> being built into the window manager.

Particularly when up until a few months ago, xfwm4 did work the
way we wanted it to.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! My uncle Murray
                                  at               conquered Egypt in 53 B.C.