4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Thu Jul 9 22:27:16 CEST 2009

On 2009/07/09 12:10, Mike McNally wrote:

> I've written lots of throwaway GUI applications that show something in
> a window but take all their input from a console.  For such a case,
> again, I definitely want my console (xterm) command to launch that
> window such that I can see it, but I also want to keep typing in my
> xterm.

Then you're doing it wrong.  If you want it to work this way, you make
the terminal window the transient parent of the GUI window.  Most WMs
will always keep windows above their transient parents.  (That may be a
slight abuse of the transient property, but it's more reasonable and
reliable than just expecting/hoping it to work.)

Of course, you can rely on the behavior of one WM (which may change) to
achieve this effect, but that's pretty fragile.  Maybe you don't care
for a throwaway app, but it's still best not to rely on behavior like
that not changing.

	-brian