Barebones xfce

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:42:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Auke Kok<auke at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> Alexander Toresson wrote:

>>> start xfwm4 (nothing else) and your application only. make sure that
>>> popup
>>> windows are raised to the foreground. should be all you need.
>>>

>> A problem with that setup may be that minimized windows just
>> disappear. A solution might be to also run xfdesktop and use the
>> setting to show minimized windows as icons.
>
> I think xfwm4 still allows you to alt-tab to them anyway....
>
> Auke

Yes, of course. But it may not be straight-forward that you can bring
back the window with alt-tab, if 'normal' users are supposed to use
it.
I had xfwm4 + xftaskbar4 + idesk running on a old box for my parents
to use (while their computer was broken), and I remember finding a
second firefox started, even tho the old one was just minimized :)
I'm trying to say that if the computer is supposed to always be
running one window in fullscreen, it might be an idea to have a setup
that disables minimizing, if a minimized window will be invisible.
Oh, and I had forgotten, xfwm4 can do that -- just remove the minimize
button -- and disable any key shortcut.

// Alexander