GTK2 key theme

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Jul 7 00:10:02 CEST 2009

On 2009/07/06 13:26, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 23:05 +0200, Stephan Arts wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Mike McNally<emmecinque at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I found a thread from last November about getting in xfce4 the
>>> behavior afforded by having:
>>>
>>>   gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
>>>
>>> in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine file.  The answer in the thread was to
>>> (somehow) select "Emacs" in the xfce "keyboard" settings dialog. Well,
>>> when I bring up the "keyboard" settings dialog I see no mention of
>>> Emacs anywhere. Can somebody elaborate on exactly where in that tool
>>> one picks Emacs functionality?
>>>
>>> I'm running xfce4.6 on Ubuntu 9.04 if it matters.
>> xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/KeyThemeName -s Emacs
>>
>> Option was dropped from the GUI because almost nobody seemed to use
>> it, you can still set it with the command mentioned above.
>
> /me points out that this is a bit of a hot pot with his-self.
>
> Since when did you guys start listening to the all knowing, all being,
> all directing "Havoc Pennington"... you know they guy that espouses
> "Sane Defaults" and "less is more" as far as GUI interfaces...

"Sane defaults" is an excellent idea.  Or would you perhaps be a
proponent of "insane" or possibly "ludicrous" defaults?

And sometimes less *is* more.  In this particular case, people were at
times confused as to what the extra keytheme option was for.  Back when
we supported keythemes for keyboard shortcuts (and for WM keyboard
shortcuts), this was even more confusing.  As far as we can tell, most
people don't change the default gtk keytheme.  This is the first time
anyone's asked about it since the option was removed, so I'm feeling
like removing it was a decently good decision.

(Os for your assertion that HP is regarded as "all knowing" or "all
directing," I'll assume you're merely exaggerating for emotional effect.
  I've read a lot of things the man has written: some I agree with, some
I don't.  That applies just as well to pretty much anyone.)

If there's enough noise by enough people, it might get added back.  But
I'd rather not see it come back.  The gtk keytheme setting is a power
user setting.  People who want to set it can figure out how to do so in
their ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

To wit: please don't clutter xfce@ with useless rants.  If you want to
offer constructive feedback, feel free.  Your email basically makes me
want to believe and do the opposite of whatever you suggest, mainly on
principle.  How is that useful?

	-brian