Where do I set screen resolution in xfce4 4.6

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Jul 3 23:17:41 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:30:47AM -0600, David Mohr wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Chris G<cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 11:04:52AM -0300, John Coppens wrote:

> >> You should probably complain with the distribution guys - I run Slackware
> >> and XFCE 4.6.1, just installed on a clean disk, and 'Display' is available
> >> here.
> >>
> >> If you feel slightly adventurous, try to install it yourself:
> >>
> >> http://www.xfce.org/download/
> >>
> > I actually meant there's less in Settings->Settings Manager.  However
> > I do seem to have lost Settings->Display.  Is it an xfce4 program that
> > provides this or is it a Gnome utility?  Whatever it is if someone can
> > tell me what the name of the utility is I can see if it's installed,
> > if it's not installed I can install it and if it is installed I can
> > run it from the command line.
>
> This is quickly turning into an ubuntu problem; but let's just say
> that you need to learn your distro tools. Someone already pointed out
> the name of the binary. Install apt-file, or use packages.ubuntu.com
> to find out what package provides it.

Who "pointed out the name of the binary.", am I missing something
because I didn't see it.

Anyway, things have advanced, removing a 'broken' package from my
installation and then doing a full update/upgrade has got my
Settings->Display applet to appear.  However it doesn't actually work,
i.e. it won't change the display resolution.

As you say though it's an Ubuntu problem rather than an xfce one so
I'll go over there to ask.  Thanks for the help so far.

--
Chris Green