How to get rid of session 'memory' in xfce for a clean restart?

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Thu Jul 2 19:02:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Chris G<cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:28:23PM +0100, Chris G wrote:

>> > If you do not even get the login screen, it is unlikely that Xfce is
>> > even starting (unless you have configured gdm to auto-login). It is
>> > rather likely that the upgrade caused your X to not start up properly,
>> > and this is not related to Xfce.
>> > If you really find out that the Xfce session is the problem, remove
>> > .cache/sessions/ to reset your session.
>> >
>> >From the .xsession-errors file it looks as if X is trying to start as
>> there are *loads* of messages from digikam (which I think may be the
>> cause of my problems) and, at the end, from some bits of xfce.
>>
>> I'll try removing .cache/sessions/ and see if it helps, I don't really
>> have anything to preserve in sessions.
>>
> No different, the .xsession-errors was an old one I suspect because I
> removed it and it hasn't reappeared.
>
> How do I diagnose this?  I have virtual consoles working (fortunately,
> and hence this E-Mail) but that's all.  There don't appear to be any
> errors in /var/Xorg.0.log but I've still got no GUI at all, no login
> screen, nothing.  I just get the xubuntu startup screen with the bar
> moving across and when that finishes there's just a blank screen.

As Alexander was saying, you should ask on an xubuntu mailing list, as
this is an X problem and has nothing to do with Xfce. You're much more
likely to get help there than on this mailing list.

On a side note, it seems odd that there are no errors in the logs. I'd
recommend including the log files when you ask for help on some
(x)ubuntu related list / forum / whatever.

~David