Disabled XFCE Session Manager, now can't login

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:13:07 CET 2009

>> > How about looking in ~/.xsession-errors in a console session, that
>> > might well give you a clue.
>>
>> AFAIK ~/.xsession-errors is a Debian-based distro thing only, and also
>> only works when using a display manager like gdm.
>>
> I'm sure I used to look in ~/.xsession-errors when I ran Slackware and
> on our Solaris boxes at work.  A quick Google suggests that it does
> get written in just about every distribution, I spotted Mandrake,
> Fedora and Suse at least.
>
> You're probably right about it being set up by the display manager
> though but I thought from the thread that the OP was running a session
> manager.  The problem was in fact that he wasn't running from a
> terminal and thus couldn't see the errors, the display manager
> redirects stdout/stderr to ~/.xsession-errors for this very reason.

I don't have a ~/.xsession-errors (or even ~/.xsession, though there
is ~/.kde4 and ~/.gnome2 - using openSUSE 11.1 & kdm3).  Is there any
other place to look in ?

Or is ti possible to re-enable the Session Manager by editing a System
File (I am quite sure that this is the cause of the problem, as that
was the only system change I made before the problem appeared).

Thanks,

Jay

--
Registered Linux User # 483705  @ http://counter.li.org/  (openSUSE 11.1, i686)