Shutdown and restart not always working - continued

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Feb 24 19:48:24 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 18:29 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:22:52PM +0100, Christian Dywan wrote:
> > Am Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:55:00 +0000
> > schrieb Chris G <cl at isbd.net>:
> >
> > > Well I took a look at the documentation on how this is supposed to
> > > work and I took a look at what actually happens on xubuntu 8.10, with
> > > the following results.
> >
> > Hey Chris,
> >
> > did you read this?
> >
> > http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#session_manager
> >
> > Those are instructions which are commonly given to users asking in the
> > #xfce IRC channel on Freenode. And they are known to work well.
> >
> Yes, it's the piece I quoted in my E-Mail.
>

> > It strikes me as a mistake of the package maintainer of Xubuntu if this
> > doesn't work out of the box, though.
> >
> It works "out of the box" for the installation user via the sudo
> mechanism, however it won't work for other users unless you do some
> configuration.

You should be able to do the following for group adding for a user (as
root or equivalent) on *buntu and Debian:

	adduser <username> <groupname>

That adds an existing user to an existing group. On my Debian machines I
have adjusted my default group memberships to for "console users" to be:

	cdrom floppy sudo audio video plugdev users netdev powerdev

Of course, I trust my Wife and Daughter to do as I taught them to use
the laptops they have.

Other users I have are not console users (for work), most are remote
users and ssh in and they are only in a couple of groups. One for the
organization they have, another for what product they use and another
for if the have straight shell access vs menu system.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2