xfce session manager question(s)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Feb 24 11:52:27 CET 2009

I presume that it's the xfce session manager (xfce4-session) that
provides the EWMH functions/compatibility in xfce4 - yes?

Going on from that it also appears to handle most of the shutting down
of xfce, if you run without xfce4-session things go rather strange! :-)
I.e. the Quit button in the *menus* says it can't shut down whereas
the (identical icon) Quit button on the panel allows you to quit from
the panel which does actually shut X down.

It also seems to me that the session manager doesn't always get things
quite right in that if you choose Restart or Shutdown it very often
just logs you out and you have to actually select Restart or Shutdown
again from the login screen.  In reality I think I'd be perfectly
happy if Quit from xfce4 only allowed me to logout from the session.

--
Chris Green