More flexible new window focus setting would be nice

Jarno Suni j_suni at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 12:37:14 CET 2009

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

> From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>
> Subject: Re: More flexible new window focus setting would be nice
> To: xfce at xfce.org
> Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
> On ven, 2009-02-20 at 09:39 +0000, Jarno Suni wrote:
> >
> > If mouse is hovering some other window than the newly
> created window
> > when it is created, the hovered window should be
> focused according to
> > focus follows mouse policy.
>
> That's the focus stealing prevention. The timestamp of
> the hovered
> window would have been updated, so it would keep the focus.

Do you mean it is not updated without moving mouse? Do you mean focus stealing prevention has higher precedence than new window focus setting? And new window focus setting has higher precedence than focus follows mouse policy?

> But (I'm using focus follow mouse) I run a keybinding
> to get a new
> terminal, without moving the mouse, I expect the newly
> created window to
> get the focus.

Can you override focus stealing prevention in the keybinding command? Or in its launcher? As I mentioned earlier, I expect e.g. Firefox to raise in start, if I don't work on a window after starting Firefox's launcher, but if I e.g. type in a window after starting the launcher, I want Firefox to neither raise nor get focus automatically.