Locking applications to a particular workspace?

Harold xfce at sait.nl
Wed Feb 11 16:10:31 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:59:01 -0600, Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net>
wrote:
> I want it to stay on ws3 and I'll look at the webpage there.  Is there
> some way to make this happen?

"Firefox jumps between workspaces, why?

When a new tab is opened from an external link in Firefox, it asks the WM
to show the window containing the new tab. If the window that has requested
to be raised is not on the current desktop, the Xfce Window manager will
bring it to the current desktop by default. If you do not want this
behavior, there is a hidden option to control this behavior. in
~/.config/xfce4/xfwm4/xfwm4rc you can put the following:

  activate_action=bring|switch|none

As the name suggests, the “bring” option moves the window requesting to
be raised to the current workspace, the “switch” option switches
workspaces, and the “none” option takes no action."

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#window_manager

Also have a look at the "Window Manager Tweaks" settings dialog.

-H-