how to customize application panel

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Sun Feb 8 22:03:22 CET 2009

søn, 08 02 2009 kl. 22:28 +0100, skrev Arnau Bria:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add some application under multimedia section. But if I got
> to "Menu editor" I do not see multimedia section, I only see main
> section... settings tab and nothig else (sorry, I don't know how to be
> more explciit, maybe a snapshot?).
>
> Am I in the wrong menu?

In the beginning, there was chaos. Different window managers/desktop
environments used different menu systems, and people had to add the
desired applications themselves. This was the case for Xfce 4.0 as well.

Then FreeDesktop.org came to the rescue. Using this great platform, a
specification for application menus was made, and it came into use.

Xfce got a lot of support (but not complete) for this, with Xfce 4.2, if
I remember correctly. However, it didn't replace the menu system used in
Xfce 4.0; it was somewhat added on top, not a part of the menu system,
but with the possibility of "magically" integrating it in a menu.

The menu editor, supporting the Xfce 4.0 menu format, allowed people to
edit the containing menu, but not the "magically" added FreeDesktop.org
part.

The hopefully soon to be released Xfce 4.6 will be the end of the old
menu system. A newly developed library with more complete support for
the FreeDesktop.org menu specification will be used, and all changes
have to be made the new way. The menu editor haven't been ported, as far
as I know.

> TIA,
> Arnau

Stefan