Grouping windows

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Fri Dec 11 08:44:49 CET 2009

On jeu., 2009-12-10 at 13:49 -0700, David Mohr wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I would like to hear your opinion about the following feature
> request.
> >
> > Computer screens are becoming larger and larger. This fact opens up
> > new possibilities concerning the way one uses computers. For
> example,
> > one can be writing a document while looking at several relevant and
> > connected documents to the material one is writing. However, XFCE
> (and
> > no other competitor, I guess) has the possibility of grouping
> > different windows to give to user the chance of putting all groped
> > open windows to the forefront at once when necessary; one has bring
> > the forefront each window one at time. To have the option of
> grouping
> > open windows in the described sense would be very useful, in my
> > opinion. And you, do you agree with this enhancement?

You might want to file an enhancement request on the bugzilla (so it
doesn't get lost).

> Have you tried to use workspaces to organize you windows?

Yeah, same thing as David. With the 4.6 ability to open a new workspace
next to the current one, and to delete the active workspace, I've
changed a bit the way I use them. Basically I have a minimal set of
static workspaces (0, 1, 2 or 3 depending on the box I'm in) and a set
of dynamic ones.

1: irc, jabber, “main” stuff
2: mail (full screen)
3: web browser (full screen)

The, as soon as I switch to a new activity, I open a new workspace
(bound to alt+insert), open some terms, maybe a new browser etc. If I'm
interrupted, need to switch to another activity, fine, I open yet
another workspace etc. I can switch back to the previous activity when I
want, and all the windows/apps are in the state I left them. When the
activity is done, I just quit all apps and then close the desktop (alt
+delete) (I could use a keyboard shortcut to close all the windows on
screen and delete the workspace at the same time, but atm it's fine like
that).

It's only a workaround (and a new way of working) for your question, but
I find the workflow quite convenient.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis