XFCE and Compiz?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:09:27 CEST 2009

2009/8/6 Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no>:
> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 02:54:49 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/06/2009 02:50 AM, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

>> > I could but I don't like to try and fail.... Too much to clean up afterwards... Easier to check with the source if this is even possible
>> > first... :)
>>
>> Why should you expect others to help you if you aren't willing to do
>> your own research or expend any effort yourself?  (Serious question.)
>>
>>       -brian
> But I won't bother you again...

Compiz is a window manager and a compositor manager, just like xfwm4.

As you cannot run more than one window manager and/or compositor
manager at a time on a given display/screen, it means that you have to
replace the window manager that ships with xfce with compiz.

Usually, it's just a matter of using the "--replace" option when
invoking the new window manager, check with compiz what else needs to
be run too (like a window decorator, which is a concept specific to
compiz).

In other words, this is more a question about compiz than xfce, so
Brian is right, you'd better check by yourself first, then come back
and ask for help if there is a problem specific to xfce.

Cheers,
Olivier.