how to use ISO-8859-1 character set

Mike McNally emmecinque at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 05:00:34 CEST 2009

I'm having a hard time getting files with names encoded as ISO-8859-1
characters to be properly displayed in prettymuch anything via Xfce.
I've got the locale generated, as far as I can tell, but nothing seems
to want to render the characters properly.  The Xfce language setup
dialog doesn't seem to make character set visible in any way (unless
I'm missing something).

Does this sound familiar, or is this likely to be a case of me just
doing something wrong?

I should try an FVWM session because I know I've gotten it to work in
that world.

--
Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.