ANN: midori version 0.0.21 released

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Sep 4 20:17:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 23:30:24 +0200, Christian Dywan
<christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:41:19 +0200
> schrieb "Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>
> > wrote:
> > > Could I propose you allow for configurable hot-keys?
> > >
> > To expand on the idea.. with Firefox and Opera profiles, although I
> > understand that implementing this could prove time-consuming. If
> > looking for inspiration, the code of emelFM2 [1] could come in
> > handy. The file manager's key bindings are completely configurable,
> > and if the code's design is suitable, and there are no licence
> > clashes, why not a code import? But I think there is a clash:
> > Midori is LGPL, while emel is GPLed.
>
> I'm not sure if I really see the need for *profiles* here. Almost all
> shortcuts are already configurable, that one is just special because
> it's not an "action" in Gtk jargon.
>
> If I or anyone can think of a good way to do this I am willing to
> make this configurable, although there is no actual editor either and
> Midori merely relies on the 'editable shortcuts' preference in the
> User interface/ Appearance settings. But well, the 'accels' file is
> all text.

Just an idea:
there are already menu items (i.e. actions) for 'new window' and 'new
tab' (Ctrl-T and Ctrl-N on my system). Why not re-using them?
This wouldn't work with GTK out of the box but a
globally installed key-press-signal handler could check whether the
user pressed one of these both keybindings and if so, it checks if the
current input focus is inside the location bar and if so, then it
performs the desired action based on the pressed keys (obviously).

In other words, typing an URL in the location bar and pressing Ctrl-T
opens the URL in a new tab, pressing Ctrl-N opens the URL in a new
window.

And what happens when pressing simply Enter with or without any
modifiers is up to Christian :). E.g. downloading a super-fancy skin
pack, muhahah.

Regards,
Enrico