XFCE4 menu only showing applications in one category?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:24:34 CET 2008

As an example, I have safari installed via wine. Here is the
~/.local/share/applications/Safari.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Safari
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/anrobins/.wine" wine "C:\\Program
Files\\Safari\\Safari.exe"
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Wine
Path=/home/anrobins/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Safari/
Icon=/home/anrobins/.wine/drive_c/Program
Files/Safari/Safari.resources/compass.png
Categories=Wine;Network

The xfce app finder shows this in both Wine & Network as expected, but
the xfce menu does not. I made sure that my menu.xml file for system
does not have unique="true":
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xfdesktop-menu>
	<menu name="Settings" icon="gnome-settings">
		<app name="Settings Manager" cmd="xfce-setting-show"
icon="gnome-settings" snotify="true"/>
	</menu>
	<separator/>
	<include type="system" style="simple"/>
	<separator/>
	<app name="Help" cmd="xfbrowser4
/usr/share/xubuntu-docs/about/xubuntu-index.html" icon="gnome-help"/>
	<app name="About Xfce" cmd="xfce4-about" icon="info"/>
	<builtin name="Quit" cmd="quit" icon="gnome-logout"/>
</xfdesktop-menu>

Yet still Safari only appears under Wine and not Network. I tried
"xfce4-panel -r" to see if the panel simply needed restarting, but
that did not help. Is there something else that I must do for the
system menu to show applications in multiple categories?

Thanks,
Andrew