Installing XFCE on eeepc

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Nov 19 10:48:04 CET 2008

Am Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:35:54 +0100
schrieb "Anders Lind" <sunshinecoast at swipnet.se>:

> > I never used this installer, but...
> >
> > This /tmp issue depends on your local system setup, and
> >this isn't
> > anything Xfce specific. So it is hard to tell what you
> >need to do. Some
> > systems use a /tmp partition, some systems just put it
> >on the root
> > partition, some systems mount a tmpfs to /tmp. So, if
> >you are looking
> > for help on a more appropriate place, you should give at
> >least some
> > minimal details about your system if you expect to get
> >real help.
> Well, the actual question was how to instead of the default setting
> in the installer that points the temp-directory to /tmp to for
> example /home/user/D: which would in my case be a SD-card. What I
> need to know is the option I can send with the
> command ./xfce4-xxxxxxxxxxxxx when I launch it. This was clearly
> implied in my email. /Anders

Hey,

if I may quote from the original question:

"but it complains that the tmp-directory is too small and now I am
trying figure out how to change that"

That question is not clear at all, it is ambiguous and I also understood
it in the sense that you are trying to fix your tmp folder. Especially
considering that you will have a hard time trying to "fix" the usage of
that folder in every application.

I actually had a funny crasher when I installed Xfce on the box I'm
writing from, which was related to /tmp having wrong permissions. And
although you could suggest that to be a bug in Xfce (session), I
personally saw no sense whatsoever in trying to run a system with an
unusable /tmp.

ciao,
    Christian