Some questions about session saving

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 10 17:21:01 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:54:35PM +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> > Well fvwm manages it perfectly!  It was one of the reasons I've stayed
> > with fvwm for so long.  I have the following in my fvwm configuration file:-
> [...]
>
> Oh, then I think it's fine if I use my template answer, ie "use
> ${your_favorite_wm}"

OK!  :-)

The trouble is though that if I use fvwm there appear to be a number
of "infelicities" when I run Gnome applications.  This is why I was
trying out xfce again after a long absence.

Can I use xvwm with xfce 'underneath' as it were?  I.e. can I install
xubuntu, add xvwm and then run xfce with fvwm as window manager and
have it all work (reasonably) well?

> I would mention that this is not session management though...

I don't really want full blown session management, all I want is to be
able to specify which programs are run at session startup and on which
workspaces they appear.  I want this to be the same *every* time I
start up, thus a "cast in stone" configuration to specify the
applications and the workspaces is absolutely fine for me.

--
Chris Green