SCIM Not Working

das dasd.here at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:42:21 CEST 2008

Hello Friends

I am using XFCE on Fedora for around two years. In Fedora 7 and then 8,
everything was working as fine as it could be.

All this time I was working with SCIM, which I use for changing to and
fro between Bangla (Bengali) keyboard layout 'Probhat' for Bangla texts
and the US English layout as the default one.

Just last night I upgraded to Fedora 9 with pre-upgrade, and now the
SCIM thing is not working. I have used 'im-chooser' to choose this
input method. I have checked with the 'scim-setup' but with no avail.
No application in XFCE will get the SCIM keyboard switcher (Ctrl+Space)
activated. Claws-mail, mousepad, OpenOffice -- nothing, in all which I
regularly used Bangla keyboard before.

Except only one and that is Gedit. In Gedits context menu,
there is one option for choosing input method, and after I choose
SCIM there from the dedault 'system' (I don't know what that means
after I used im-chooser to choose SCIM as the system-wide input
method) there, the switch is working. But, then again when I log out
and come back to XFCE with 'startx', again I have to do the same thing
in Gedit context menu. Though all this type the SCIM icon is there on
the task bar. And it is working as it should, that is the usual context
menu with the left click, but not the usual keyboard list with the
right click.

After the Gedit experience I installed Gnome things with 'yum
groupinstall gnome-desktop' and I am getting SCIM properly there,
everything OK. But, I want XFCE.

Am I doing something wrong, something has changed in Fedora 9 version
of XFCE? Or, is it some problem?

--
das
ddts.randomink.org