file associations

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Tue May 13 18:15:51 CEST 2008

On Tue May 13 2008, Harold Aling wrote:
> > right, I do that, but it is a bother and a pain to remember to add that
> > extra
> > step each and every time.
>
> OK, how about: right click->open with other application->select one from
> the list->make sure 'Use as default for this kind of file' is checked?
there was no "use as default", but I did right-click an AVI, clicked
properties, then selected open with VLC. NOW when I right-click an AVI it
shows VLC with ARK as one of the other choices..

> > Why does an AVI open with ARK? somewhere
> > something is telling it to do that.
>
> This is set in the mime handlers by either ARK or your favorite distro.
> Xfce has nothing to do with this.

I'm learning here.. Mime handlers??
I see some directions for Debian, but it only specifies gnome..
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/ch-mtdyo.en.html

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800