VMware Server Console and the mouse?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri May 9 18:57:30 CEST 2008

Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> On Fri, 09 May 2008 10:27:14 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 08:11 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

>>> But I never had this problem when using Gnome..?
>> I hate to be a hardass here, but.
>>
>> Just because the problem didn't get tripped by GNOME, doesn't mean it
>> doesn't exist. In fact, I've bumped into A LOT of VMware bugs in
>> environments not being KDE or GNOME, doubly so for the "server" stuff
>> they have.
>>
>> There is a LOT of GTK static and screwed up dynamic issues with VMware
>> Workstation that I am surprised it even RUNS as well as it does. Mind
>> you, I use VMware (Server, ESX, Fusion and Workstation) and I see lots
>> of issues. Trivial user interface issues like this one...
>>
>> BAH! Qwitt yur Komplane-ing... </sarcasm>
>
> I know that... My point was just that it did work before I switched to XFCE, so I was just wondering why? What's the
> difference?

The difference is you're using a different window manager with different
behavior.  To our knowledge, xfwm4 is ICCCM and netwm compliant.  Since
VMWare is closed-source, there's no way to tell if it might be doing
something strange that could be triggering a bug in xfwm4.  You'd have
to ask VMWare about that.  From the Xfce perspective, all I can suggest
is that maybe xfwm4 is triggering a bug in VMWare.

> (And btw, I have never had any trouble running VMware the last 4-5 years....  :) )

Past behavior is not necessarily indicative of present or future
behavior ^_~.  I've found VMWare to be somewhat quirky in the UI
department in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is their
issue.  And unless you can point to a place in the xfwm4 code where it's
doing something incorrectly wrt mouse grabs, there's not much else I can
say.

	-brian