Soubd problems solved with ... kmix!

Daryl Van Humbeck dvanhumb at sfu.ca
Tue May 6 01:13:55 CEST 2008

regme please wrote:
> Hi all.
> I was having problems with applications using the microphone.
> Then I remembered about the struggling I had with KDE and KMix.
> I installed it (yes, KMix under XFCE!) and copied the configuration.
> The microphone started working magically.
> This means that the xfce4-mixer has some troubles that are not present
> in the KDE one.
> It's a pity, but at least I can use Skype again!
Part of the problem I noticed with the Xfce mixer is the fact that the
number of audio channels isn't quite working properly (at least under
the various versions of Ubuntu I've used).

To solve this problem, I use the command alsa-mixer on the commandline
to change the number of audio channels back to 2, as it seems that the
audio software uses the line-in or microphone jack for the second pair
of channels...

Is this a bug and a bug report be opened?

Daryl.