Xfce pretty slow?

Michael Schmarck michael.schmarck at habmalnefrage.de
Sun Mar 23 12:17:42 CET 2008

Hello.

I installed Xfce 4.4.2 on a Gentoo Linux ~x86 system (I installed
xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2 from the Portage tree). I then started Xfce
after setting /usr/bin/startxfce in ~/.xinitrc and then doing a
startx. xfce started up just fine and seems to work.

But, compared to Gnome, it feels pretty "slow" or sluggish. For
example when I change from one desktop to another one, it's by
far not as smooth as it is with Gnome or fluxbox. I don't have
many (X) applications running when I tried that - just one
Terminal.

How can I speed up Xfce or is it just a fact that Xfce is slow?

Thanks a lot,
Michael

PS: No, that's *NOT* a flame bait! I truly would like to use
Xfce as it's not as memory hungry as Gnome. But this sluggishness
makes me not want to use  Xfce - if that could be changed, I'd
be happy!