keyboard layout switcher stopped working

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Tue Mar 18 18:07:20 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've upgraded a FreeBSD box using the portupgrade tool. This tool
takes care of all dependencies and updates all installed packages as
needed. As a result, I've upgraded all XFCE packages from 4.4.0 to
4.4.2, and the X Window system from 6.9 to 7.3.

I can still switch the keyboard layout with a key combo which I've set
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf like this:

    Option "XkbLayout"  "us,de"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

However, the XFCE keyboard layout switcher plugin is no longer
working. It just displays the flag or text of the default layout (US),
but clicking does not alter anything. Even worse, if I switch the
layout using Alt-Shift, the plugin displays "(null)". There are no
related error messages in /var/log/messages. Looks like the plugin is
not aware that there is an additional layout to take care of.

Due to the way portupgrade works I can't tell whether it is an XFCE
4.4.0 vs. 4.4.2 issue or an xorg 6.9 vs. 7.3 issue. Any ideas?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka at cats.de
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de