OT: posting style (Re: New XFCE distribution)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 13 18:50:44 CET 2008

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:06:05 +0100, Mike Massonnet
> <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
>> Top posting is not about splitting the thread, indeed the thread is fine
>> here too.  It is about answering on the top, while it is a better habit
>> to quote on the top.  There must be a top-posting article on wikipedia.
> -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toppost
>
> In German, there is a nice expression for this:
> TOFU - "Text oben, Full-Quote unten", literally translated it means
> "text above, full quote below".

Then I'm afraid most of the rest of geekdom would disagree with you guys
^_~.

It's about audience.  If your audience expects you to bottom-post, trim
quotes to only what's relevant, and interleave your responses with the
quoting, then that's what you do.

Where I work, top-posting and never trimming quotes is the norm.  It's
quite gross and impossible to follow if you haven't been in the
discussion from the beginning.  But that's how it works.  I'll rarely
reply "correctly" because that's just not expected and it actually
confuses people sometimes (yes, someone has told me they were confused
with one of my replies).

Anyhow, the bottom line: on the Xfce lists, we prefer and expect people
to trim quotes to a reasonable level and reply in-line and/or after the
quotes.  That's our community standard, and it's rude to ignore that.

	-brian