Printer Issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 23 01:43:35 CEST 2008

   I honestly don't know if this is an Xfce issue or an Xubuntu issue; I
suspect the latter.

   I moved the hard drive from a ThinkPad 600E to a Toshiba Tecra 8000 for my
wife's use. Same Xubuntu-7.10 on both machines (now upgraded to -8.04).
Since the hardware change a message dialog keeps popping up in the upper
left corner of the screen announcing that the printer may not be connected.

   The printer is on the network and configured to be addressed by a socket
address (9100). The printer is off most of the time and submitted jobs are
queued in the print spool on the server until the printer is turned on.

   I saw nothing in the Xfce printer settings that looked funky and a cause
of this message dialog being continously present. While I'm going to ask
about this on the xubuntu mail list (if the confirmation request ever comes
through), I might as well check here, too.

Rich