OT: suid programs vs. sudo access (Re: NetworkManager or Wifi-Radar?)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 13 21:02:26 CEST 2008

Grant McWilliams wrote:
> gag, cough sputter. An SUID program is better than a SUDO entry???? I'm
> going to use this thread for my Linux Host System Security class on Tuesday!

It can be, if done properly.  A sudo entry to run a particular app as
root password-less forces you to rely on sudo itself being well behaved
and secure.

A binary with perms set to -rwsr-x--- and ownership set to root:foo (and
put users allowed to run it in group foo) only relies on the OS's
built-in facilities and is certainly no less secure than a password-less
sudo entry.  I'd argue it's more secure.

Though really, the security concerns of using suid vs. sudo are dwarfed
by those of running a GUI app as root.  wpa_gui uses Qt, right?  Care to
audit all of Qt for security issues?

	-brian