Strange (redirection) problem

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Wed Jun 4 05:30:49 CEST 2008

Hello people.

I've had quite a few inexplainable problems since I installed a few new
libraries, and particularly one is very annoying.

I'm not sure it's an Xfce problem, but here goes:

For some reason, output that would normally disappear, is now appearing
in rxvt terminal windows. I normally have 4 or 5 rxvt's open to edit
programs and such, and now, one or two of them (not simultaneously)
receive status messages from other programs, such as Sylpheed, which was
launched from the menu (_not_ a terminal). I've also seen messages from
gnumeric!

This seems as if stderr is redirected to one of the terminals, but how
could this happen?

John